Music

Music in the Church

The pipe organ was built by Binns of Bramley, Leeds in 1903, shortly after the opening of the Church. The organ is considered to be a fine example of British craftsmanship, and has 2 manuals and pedal board with 20 speaking stops and pneumatic action. It was overhauled in 1990.

The organist and choirmaster, Ross McGowan, has held the post since 1968.

Church Choir

In St. Columba’s, we are fortunate to have an enthusiastic Choir of 21 members, and, unlike many churches, continue to have a mid-week practice, which means that we can have an Introit and Anthem at each service. The Choir also takes part in the annual Festival of Lessons and Carols, and sings a group of light pieces at the Annual Business Meeting in March. Practices are held on Thursdays at 8p.m.

Facebook icon
Twitter icon
e-mail icon